By JENNIFER RIEK
Business Development Manager
EGIS Complete Care, Inc.
HOW to start and WHAT questions to ask when it comes to selecting a vetted, reputable and honorable Home Care agency.
Below are some thought provoking questions/steps to consider, which should help you divide and conquer the big task:
Quick Questions to ask when selecting Home Care Agency:
- What type of Home Care services do you need? I.E. Non-Medical or Medical
- What are the type of services do you need? (I.E. bathing, grooming, meal preparation, errands, medication management, housekeeping, laundry, transportation to doctor appointments, or nurse care, doctor care, wound care, etc.)
- What Home Care agencies are in your area?
- What friends, family or community contacts that have used Home Care agencies in your area? (i.e. community contacts such as Case Management department at Hospitals, Geriatric Doctor Offices or Senior Centers, etc.)
- What is the mission, services, reviews/testimonials, and staff experience/longevity?
- What the review/ratings on Google My Business, Yelp, Amazon, Angie’s List, Consumer Reports, Trip Advisor
- What are their strengths of service compared to their competitors?
Once you select a short list of Home Care or Home Health Care Agencies, ask the following:
- How do you recruit your caregivers?
- How do you process the comprehensive criminal back ground check? (I.E. drug test, finger printed)
- How do you process the references?
- How are the caregivers trained? (I.E. Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Parkinsons’, Cancer, Stroke, etc.)
- How do you keep the turnover to a minimum in your Caregiver/Leadership team?
- How do you introduce the Caregiver to the Client?
- How is a Care Plan created?
- How do I switch an incompatible caregiver for my Loved One?
- How do I access chart of notes/time sheets for my Loved One for each care visit?
- How is the caregiver insured/bonded?