Falling is a common problem among seniors, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right prevention tips and services, seniors can stay safe, confident, and independent while living in their own homes. Here are some ways that seniors can lower their risk of falling and avoid injury.
- Stay active: Regular physical activity can increase your balance and strength and reduce your risk for falls. Try doing low-impact exercises to build strength and exercises that focus on balance and balance-related activities such as tai chi.
- Wear the proper footwear: Make sure you wear shoes that fit properly and provide the support you need. Avoid wearing high heels or any kind of slippery shoes, as these can increase your risk of slipping and falling.
- Reduce hazards at home: Take a look around your house for potential trip or slip hazards such as cords, rugs, clutter, uneven surfaces, etc., and make sure to remove them from your walking path. Also, be aware of how furniture is placed and if they could cause tripping or blocking a clear path. Consider using a cane or walker to help you get around safely.
- Get an eye exam: go see your eye doctor which will help improve your balance, maintain sharp vision and stay upright on your two feet. According to the Teachers College, Columbia University’s Department of Health and Behavior Studies research, vision problems are one of the top contributors to falls among seniors.
- Improve lighting: It’s important to make sure your house is well lit during both day and night so that you can see where you’re walking and tell if there’s something on the ground or in the way. Consider installing motion sensor lights or putting lamps in spots you often pass through.
- Proper nutrition: Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins will give you energy and help keep bones strong. If you live alone, having meals delivered to your door can save you time and the hassle of cooking.
For seniors in New Mexico, one of the best resources to turn to for assistance is EGIS Complete Care, Inc., a Quality Senior Home Care and Care Management company in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They offer a variety of Home Care services and provide support for seniors who need help with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, meal preparation, light house cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, doctor appointments and more. Working with EGIS Complete Care, Inc., New Mexico can not only help prevent falls but give seniors the confidence and independence to remain living in their own home safely. They also offer guidance to family members and training caregivers on safe caregiving practice for seniors as well as advice about how to create an environment for seniors that will reduce risks of injury or falls at home.
Falling is a risk that seniors face every day, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right preventative measures and supports in place, you can reduce your risk of falling and maintain your independence as you age. At EGIS New Mexico, we understand how important it is for seniors to remain safe and independent, which is why we offer services that enable them to do just that.